Pakistan relatives seek terror charges for US man
Lahore: The families of three Pakistanis who died after a US government employee opened fire in broad daylight demanded Wednesday that terror charges are brought against the American.
Dozens of relatives and students gathered close to the site of the shooting in the eastern city of Lahore last week, shouting "hang Davis," "death to American dogs" and "cruel people be accountable for our blood".
The US consular employee, whom Pakistani police identified as Raymond Davis, is under investigation for the double murder of two Pakistani motorcyclists.
A third Pakistani was run over by a vehicle from the US consulate in Lahore that came to Davis` assistance. Davis said he shot the two men in self-defence, fearing they were about to rob him, but was taken into Pakistani custody.
"We demand the Raymond Davis trial be held under the anti-terrorism act," said Sajjad, brother of Ibad-ur-Rehman, who was killed by the US vehicle, speaking at a joint news conference convened by the relatives.
"The weapon was openly used in public, when people crushed under the vehicle and when people tried to stop the car, guns were aimed at them -- all this falls into acts of terrorism," Rehman said.
A Pakistan court on Tuesday blocked any move to free Davis although Washington has stepped up calls for his release, citing diplomatic immunity.
"We want him kept on remand and denied bail," said Mohammad Waseem, brother of Mohammad Faheem, one of the two men on a motorcycle whom the American thought posed a direct threat.
Mohammad Rashid, brother-in-law of other motorcyclists Faizan Haider, said the grieving families were dissatisfied with the police investigation.
"The government is deliberately weakening the case against the US citizen and are portraying the victims as robbers," Rashid said.
Relatives said they would stage a peaceful rally outside the US consulate in Lahore on Thursday.
"We appeal on the government to allow this peaceful rally and provide security, otherwise we will try to get inside the US consulate," Waseem said.
Although Washington says the man is a diplomat, questions remain about why the American was driving around with a gun and US officials have so far declined to confirm his name.
US television network ABC reported that Davis is a private security officer with experience in the US Special Forces.
Rajapaksa scoffs reports about his health
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'