Pakistan should concentrate on internal threats: Roemer
Bangalore: Defending its arms sales to
Pakistan, US Ambassador to India Timothy Roemer said
Islamabad needs to concentrate on internal threats posed by
various militant outfits and use arms provided by US to combat
Reacting over India`s concerns regarding US defence sales
to Pakistan, he said US President Barack Obama had taken a
very clear stand by stating that he would not participate in
any kind of military build up against India and the arms sales
to Pakistan should not be used against New Delhi.
"Those are for Pakistan to fight its own internal
threats... we want Pakistan to concentrate on its own internal
threats" be it the Al Qaida or the LeT, he said.
"Pakistan needs to focus on the internal threats of
terrorism and to use the arms we provide to counter
terrorism," he said.
Reiterating the US commitment to India, he said Obama had
pledged his personal and the country`s support to enable India
to have a permanent seat in the UN security council.
"He has not said that to Pakistan", he said.
Roemer also pointed out that US had looked into a civil
nuclear agreement with India, but the same had not been
extended to Pakistan.
"India is the corner stone of our global partnership," he
To a question on whether there were any conditions for the
US supporting India to have a permanent seat in the UN
Security Council, Roemer said the President had elicited clear
support for India.
"There are no ifs, ands, buts or any conditions," he said.
Measures like according greater access to more superior
technology and removing nine entities from the list were
indications of its commitment to strengthening this strategic
These technologies are only exchanged with its closet
allies, he said, adding, "India is an extraordinary close,
indispensable partner of the US."
He said the visit of US President to India was a historic
one and was indication of the trend the relationship was
moving towards. It was optimistic and positive where India was
being treated as an emerging global power, he said.
On India`s intentions to finalise the MMRA deal in the next
fiscal, he said, "US is very honoured to be in competition. We
have two very good planes to compete. Both of superior technology."
It would help modernise the IAF and add "little muscle to
the airforce," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow