`Pakistan shouldn’t hand over Dr Afridi to US`
Islamabad: The JuD-backed Difa-e-Pakistan Council (DPC) has reportedly said that Islamabad should not ‘commit the mistake’ of handing spy doctor Shakil Afridi over to the US and should give him ‘nothing less than a death sentence’.
DPC leaders, including Maulana Samiul Haq, Hafiz Hussain Ahmed and Jamat-i-Islami (JI) chief Syed Munawar Hussain, made the demand during a press conference in Nowshera.
The leaders claimed that Dr Afridi, who helped the CIA locate Osama bin Laden, had committed treason and should not be spared, the Express Tribune reports.
Dr Afridi ran a fake vaccination programme designed to collect information about the presence of bin Laden in Abbottabad by running DNA tests on samples surreptitiously collected from his family.
Bin Laden was subsequently shot dead in a US raid in May 2011.
Dr Afridi was sentenced to 33 years in prison by a tribal court on charges of treason, for collaborating with militants.
The United States has, however, termed the sentence “unjust and unwarranted”, saying Dr Afridi was “instrumental in taking down one of the world’s most-wanted murderers”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says