Pakistan: Six newborn babies die in hospital fire
Lahore: Six newborn babies died and several others were injured when a fire broke out in the nursery ward of a leading hospital in this eastern Pakistani city on Thursday, officials said.
Khwaja Salman Raafique, a special assistant to Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, confirmed that six babies had died of burn injuries.
Reports said over ten babies were injured in the incident at the Services Hospital.
Officials said one baby was killed instantly the others died later.
Several babies were in a critical condition, they said.
According to nurse Khalida Zaidi, 17 babies were in the nursery ward on the second floor of the hospital when the fire broke out at 3.15 pm.
"The staff rushed to the nursery on seeing smoke and tried to rescue the babies. Some babies were in incubators," she said.
Workers of the state-run Rescue 1122 service too joined the rescue efforts.
Farooq Ahmed, a spokesman for the rescue service, told a news agency that officials rescued seven babies and rushed them to the emergency ward.
A medical superintendent said doctors were doing their best to save the children who were in a critical condition.
Officials said the apparent cause of the fire was an electrical short circuit.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case