Pakistan successfully tests nuclear-capable Hatf-II missile
Islamabad: Pakistan on Friday tested the nuclear-capable Hatf-II ballistic missile with a range of 180 kms, marking the second test of a missile system in four days as part of measures to evaluate the capabilities of its Strategic Forces.
The test of the Hatf-II or Abdali short range surface-to-surface ballistic missile was part of the "process of validation of land-based ballistic missile systems", the military said in a statement.
It described the test as successful but did not say where it was conducted.
The missile can carry nuclear or conventional warheads with "high accuracy", the statement said.
"The weapon system with its varied maneuverability options provides an operational level capability to Pakistan’s Strategic Forces," it said.
On February 11, Pakistan tested the nuclear-capable Hatf-IX tactical missile with a range of 60 kms.
The military had said the weapon system was specially designed to defeat anti-tactical missile defence systems.
Analysts say the short-range Hatf-IX missile is primarily aimed at deterring India`s Cold Start military doctrine, which envisages quick thrusts by small integrated battle groups in the event of hostilities.
Today`s test was witnessed by Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Chairman Gen Khalid Shameem Wynne, Strategic Plans Division Director General Lt Gen (retired) Khalid Ahmed Kidwai, Army Strategic Forces Command chief Lt Gen Tariq Nadeem Gilani, senior officers from the Strategic Forces and scientists and engineers of strategic organizations.
The President and Prime Minister congratulated the scientists and engineers on the test "which consolidates Pakistan’s deterrence capability both at the operational and strategic levels", the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!