Pakistan successfully tests nuclear-capable Hatf-II missile
Islamabad: Pakistan on Friday tested the nuclear-capable Hatf-II ballistic missile with a range of 180 kms, marking the second test of a missile system in four days as part of measures to evaluate the capabilities of its Strategic Forces.
The test of the Hatf-II or Abdali short range surface-to-surface ballistic missile was part of the "process of validation of land-based ballistic missile systems", the military said in a statement.
It described the test as successful but did not say where it was conducted.
The missile can carry nuclear or conventional warheads with "high accuracy", the statement said.
"The weapon system with its varied maneuverability options provides an operational level capability to Pakistan’s Strategic Forces," it said.
On February 11, Pakistan tested the nuclear-capable Hatf-IX tactical missile with a range of 60 kms.
The military had said the weapon system was specially designed to defeat anti-tactical missile defence systems.
Analysts say the short-range Hatf-IX missile is primarily aimed at deterring India`s Cold Start military doctrine, which envisages quick thrusts by small integrated battle groups in the event of hostilities.
Today`s test was witnessed by Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Chairman Gen Khalid Shameem Wynne, Strategic Plans Division Director General Lt Gen (retired) Khalid Ahmed Kidwai, Army Strategic Forces Command chief Lt Gen Tariq Nadeem Gilani, senior officers from the Strategic Forces and scientists and engineers of strategic organizations.
The President and Prime Minister congratulated the scientists and engineers on the test "which consolidates Pakistan’s deterrence capability both at the operational and strategic levels", the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP