Pakistan: Suicide bomber kills soldier in NW
Dera Ismail Khan: A government official says a suicide bomber has blown himself up at an army checkpoint in northwest Pakistan, killing one soldier and wounding two others.
The official, Jawed Marwat, says the suicide bomber approached the checkpoint on foot Sunday near Model Market in the Chakmalai area of the South Waziristan tribal region near the Afghan border.
Two intelligence officials also confirm the account but say one soldier was killed and seven wounded. They say troops fired at the bomber as he approached.
The Pakistani army has repatriated more than 4,000 out of some 41,000 displaced Mehsud families in South Waziristan since a yearlong military operation to clear the region of militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan