Pakistan: Suicide bomber kills soldier in NW
Dera Ismail Khan: A government official says a suicide bomber has blown himself up at an army checkpoint in northwest Pakistan, killing one soldier and wounding two others.
The official, Jawed Marwat, says the suicide bomber approached the checkpoint on foot Sunday near Model Market in the Chakmalai area of the South Waziristan tribal region near the Afghan border.
Two intelligence officials also confirm the account but say one soldier was killed and seven wounded. They say troops fired at the bomber as he approached.
The Pakistani army has repatriated more than 4,000 out of some 41,000 displaced Mehsud families in South Waziristan since a yearlong military operation to clear the region of militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29