Pakistan suspect is Swede once at Gitmo: Police
Islamabad: Pakistani police said today
that a recently detained terror suspect is the same Swedish
national once held by the US at Guantanamo Bay and that he was
trying to connect with al-Qaida operatives.
Dera Ghazi Khan police chief Mohammad Rizwan told
that authorities made the determination after
interrogating the man, Mehdi-Muhammed Ghezali.
"I do confirm that he is the same person. He is a
very dangerous man," Rizwan said.
Ghezali was arrested on the outskirts of Dera Ghazi
Khan, a southern Pakistani town, on August 28 along with a
group of foreigners including seven Turks and three other
Swedes who lacked the proper immigration stamp.
A Swedish man with the same name was arrested in
Pakistan in 2001 and held for two years at the U.S. prison in
Cuba. The US released him in 2004 and he has denied ties to
A police report obtained by the AP says the detained
group planned to travel to North Waziristan, one of Pakistan`s
lawless, militant-riddled tribal areas along the Afghan
border, to join al-Qaeda operatives hiding there.
Sweden confirmed Saturday that three of its citizens
were arrested in August by Pakistani police but that at the
time police had not provided their identities to Swedish
Though many of those held at Guantanamo Bay have
been released and left the public eye, some are known to have
joined or rejoined militant movements despite attempts in some
countries to rehabilitate them.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today