Pakistan Taliban describe Rehman Malik as comedian
Islamabad: The Pakistani Taliban have mocked Interior Minister Rehman Malik by describing him as a "comedian", with a militant spokesman saying a "serious person" should replace him for any dialogue between the two sides.
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan spokesman Ihsanullah Ihsan compared Malik to Pashto comedian Ismail Shahid and said the group did not take the minister’s statements seriously.
"Our central shura (consultative council) believes that if Rehman Malik keeps on churning out statements about our offer (of talks), it`ll indicate the government is not serious in pursuing peace talks," Ihsan told The Express Tribune.
"If the government replaces Rehman Malik with a serious person to deal with the dialogue issue, we will come up with an immediate, positive and civilised response in the best interests of Pakistan and its people," Ihsan said over phone from an undisclosed location.
Over the past few days, Malik has repeatedly ridiculed the Taliban`s offer of peace talks, saying a dialogue can be held only if the banned group lays down arms and declares a month-long ceasefire.
On Saturday, Malik remarked that the Taliban raised the issue of talks whenever they were weak.
He also asked the group to name a team of "serious negotiators" if they wanted to make peace.
The Taliban spokesman said he has been stopped by his leaders from commenting on Malik`s statements because the Taliban and "even many in Pakistan don`t trust him".
Ihsan refused to comment on a conference of political parties convened by the Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam leader Maulana Fazlur Rehman later this month to discuss ways to end the conflict in Pakistan`s northwest.
He also evaded a question about the possibility of tribal elders playing a role in the peace process.
"The Taliban are fighting for the existence of the tribal people as many tribesmen have been killed and displaced (by fighting in the region) and now they should have a better life," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre