Pakistan threatens to shutdown Google, YouTube
Islamabad: Interior Minister Rehman Malik
on Saturday warned that popular websites like Google and YouTube
could be shut down in Pakistan if they did not cooperate with
authorities investigating crimes and incidents of terrorism.
Malik made the remarks while interacting with reporters
at the headquarters of the Federal Investigation Agency in
He urged the websites to extend help to authorities to
exterminate terrorism from the country.
The government would be compelled to block certain
websites, including Google and YouTube, if they did not extend
cooperation to authorities, Malik said.
The Taliban and other terrorist organisations were
sharing intelligence through the Internet and it is imperative
to curb these activities, he said.
Malik did not give details of the crimes and incidents of
terrorism that the websites could provide information about.
TV news channels also quoted Malik as saying that he had
issued an order for a case to be registered against the
administrator of Google Pakistan.
The minister has faced criticism and ridicule from civil
society and rights groups for several of his recent comments.
Malik had recently claimed that jealous girlfriends and
wives, and not political groups or criminals, were responsible
for a majority of target killings in the southern port city of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog