Pakistan to get EUR 42 mn aid from European Commission
Islamabad: The European Commission (EC) will provide EUR 42 million (around USD 55 million) in humanitarian aid to Pakistan this year, a media report said on Friday.
The aid was announced in Brussels on Thursday, as part of EUR 661 million assistance the EC has allocated for 2013, the Dawn reported.
The EC said that part of the budget is dedicated to "forgotten crises", communities that receive little media attention and for whom the commission is often the only major donor.
For 2013, the EC identified several population groups in nine countries - India, Algeria, Bangladesh, Central African Republic, Colombia, Myanmar, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Yemen.
"The scope and size of the Commission`s worldwide humanitarian aid decision is a sober reminder of the extent of humanitarian needs around the world. For hundreds of millions of people crises are not rare events but recurrent, seemingly unavoidable hardships," Kristalina Georgieva, the European Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response, was quoted as saying.
Georgieva said the EU provides humanitarian assistance solely based on where people`s needs were most pressing, and independently of any political agenda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez