Pakistan to get EUR 42 mn aid from European Commission
Islamabad: The European Commission (EC) will provide EUR 42 million (around USD 55 million) in humanitarian aid to Pakistan this year, a media report said on Friday.
The aid was announced in Brussels on Thursday, as part of EUR 661 million assistance the EC has allocated for 2013, the Dawn reported.
The EC said that part of the budget is dedicated to "forgotten crises", communities that receive little media attention and for whom the commission is often the only major donor.
For 2013, the EC identified several population groups in nine countries - India, Algeria, Bangladesh, Central African Republic, Colombia, Myanmar, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Yemen.
"The scope and size of the Commission`s worldwide humanitarian aid decision is a sober reminder of the extent of humanitarian needs around the world. For hundreds of millions of people crises are not rare events but recurrent, seemingly unavoidable hardships," Kristalina Georgieva, the European Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response, was quoted as saying.
Georgieva said the EU provides humanitarian assistance solely based on where people`s needs were most pressing, and independently of any political agenda.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!