Pakistan to get EUR 42 mn aid from European Commission
Islamabad: The European Commission (EC) will provide EUR 42 million (around USD 55 million) in humanitarian aid to Pakistan this year, a media report said on Friday.
The aid was announced in Brussels on Thursday, as part of EUR 661 million assistance the EC has allocated for 2013, the Dawn reported.
The EC said that part of the budget is dedicated to "forgotten crises", communities that receive little media attention and for whom the commission is often the only major donor.
For 2013, the EC identified several population groups in nine countries - India, Algeria, Bangladesh, Central African Republic, Colombia, Myanmar, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Yemen.
"The scope and size of the Commission`s worldwide humanitarian aid decision is a sober reminder of the extent of humanitarian needs around the world. For hundreds of millions of people crises are not rare events but recurrent, seemingly unavoidable hardships," Kristalina Georgieva, the European Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response, was quoted as saying.
Georgieva said the EU provides humanitarian assistance solely based on where people`s needs were most pressing, and independently of any political agenda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan