Pakistan to hand over Taliban No 2: Afghan official
Islamabad: The Afghan Taliban`s No 2 leader, who was picked up as part of a recent crackdown on insurgents in Pakistan, will be handed over to Afghanistan, an Afghan government official said on Wednesday.
Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar is one of at least three Afghan Taliban commanders who have been captured in recent weeks in Pakistan where militants have also sustained blows from suspected US missile strikes, including four killed on Wednesday in an al Qaeda and Taliban stronghold in northwest Pakistan, intelligence officials said.
Pakistan has agreed to transfer Baradar to Afghan custody, according to Zemeri Bashary, a spokesman for Afghan Interior Minister Hanif Atmar, who was in Islamabad meeting with FBI and Pakistani officials.
"Pakistan has agreed to hand Mullah Baradar over, but there is going to be consultations with judicial authorities," he said.
Pakistani Interior Minister Rehman Malik said Islamabad was expecting a formal request from the Afghan government to hand over Baradar, which could allow the US officials to conduct their own interrogation of him.
Baradar was captured in a joint Pakistani-US operation in the southern city of Karachi early this month, and has given some useful information to Pakistani interrogators, Pakistani officials have said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Sushant Singh Rajput shares third poster of ‘M.S.Dhoni- The Untold Story’
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside