Pakistan to hand over Taliban No 2: Afghan official
Islamabad: The Afghan Taliban`s No 2 leader, who was picked up as part of a recent crackdown on insurgents in Pakistan, will be handed over to Afghanistan, an Afghan government official said on Wednesday.
Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar is one of at least three Afghan Taliban commanders who have been captured in recent weeks in Pakistan where militants have also sustained blows from suspected US missile strikes, including four killed on Wednesday in an al Qaeda and Taliban stronghold in northwest Pakistan, intelligence officials said.
Pakistan has agreed to transfer Baradar to Afghan custody, according to Zemeri Bashary, a spokesman for Afghan Interior Minister Hanif Atmar, who was in Islamabad meeting with FBI and Pakistani officials.
"Pakistan has agreed to hand Mullah Baradar over, but there is going to be consultations with judicial authorities," he said.
Pakistani Interior Minister Rehman Malik said Islamabad was expecting a formal request from the Afghan government to hand over Baradar, which could allow the US officials to conduct their own interrogation of him.
Baradar was captured in a joint Pakistani-US operation in the southern city of Karachi early this month, and has given some useful information to Pakistani interrogators, Pakistani officials have said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?