Pakistan to protest US drone attacks at UN
Islamabad: Pakistan will lodge a formal protest in the UN General Assembly session next month over the US drone attacks in the country, an official said.
The US attacks violate Pakistan`s sovereignty and international laws, Sartaj Aziz, adviser on foreign affairs, said in a statement in the National Assembly, the lower house of parliament, Friday, reported Xinhua.
"A breakthrough is expected on the issue of US drone strikes in the coming months," he said.
The US routinely fires missiles into the Waziristan tribal region to target militants accused of crossing into Afghanistan for attacks on foreign and Afghan forces.
Aziz said Pakistani leaders in their forthcoming meetings with US authorities will ask them to stop the drone strikes as they were counter-productive.
He added that UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon had supported Pakistan`s stance on the issue.
Aziz said Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif was expected to hold a meeting with US President Barack Obama in New York next month.
On Pakistan`s relation with the US, Aziz said Washington only insisted on cordial relations when they wanted something and returned a cold response when the purpose was fulfilled.
"Our government has successfully made US Secretary of State John Kerry realise that Pakistan-US relations should not be seen through the Afghanistan lens," he said.
Pakistan and the US have agreed to resume the strategic dialogue early next year, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof