Pakistan to protest US drone attacks at UN
Islamabad: Pakistan will lodge a formal protest in the UN General Assembly session next month over the US drone attacks in the country, an official said.
The US attacks violate Pakistan`s sovereignty and international laws, Sartaj Aziz, adviser on foreign affairs, said in a statement in the National Assembly, the lower house of parliament, Friday, reported Xinhua.
"A breakthrough is expected on the issue of US drone strikes in the coming months," he said.
The US routinely fires missiles into the Waziristan tribal region to target militants accused of crossing into Afghanistan for attacks on foreign and Afghan forces.
Aziz said Pakistani leaders in their forthcoming meetings with US authorities will ask them to stop the drone strikes as they were counter-productive.
He added that UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon had supported Pakistan`s stance on the issue.
Aziz said Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif was expected to hold a meeting with US President Barack Obama in New York next month.
On Pakistan`s relation with the US, Aziz said Washington only insisted on cordial relations when they wanted something and returned a cold response when the purpose was fulfilled.
"Our government has successfully made US Secretary of State John Kerry realise that Pakistan-US relations should not be seen through the Afghanistan lens," he said.
Pakistan and the US have agreed to resume the strategic dialogue early next year, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed