Pakistan to raise US drone attacks issue at UN
Islamabad: Pakistan plans to raise the issue of US drone attacks in its tribal regions at the United Nations, the Foreign Ministry said on Thursday.
Foreign office spokesman Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry rejected any agreement with the US on the use of drone attacks and said these violate territorial sovereignty and integrity, Xinhua reported.
The unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), colloquially known as drones, are armed with Hellfire missiles and are increasingly used by the US as platforms for hitting ground targets. The UAVs routinely fire missiles at targets in the Waziristan tribal area, and Pakistan says innocent people are getting killed in such attacks.
Meanwhile, the US has refused to halt the CIA`s covert drone campaign.
"Pakistan has started preparations to raise the issue of drone attacks at the United Nations in accordance with the recommendation of the country`s political parties," Chaudhry said.
He said necessary directives have been issued to the Pakistani missions in New York and Geneva.
"The US drone strikes are counter-productive against the forces of terrorism and extremism," added Chaudhry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow