Pakistan to re-open 160-year-old Hindu temple
Peshawar: The Peshawar High Court’s has ordered the reopening of the 160-year-old Goraknath Temple to allow devotees to worship.
The court also directed the Pakistan Government to take control of the temple that is situated in the centre of the Gor Kattri Archaeological Complex in Peshwar.
It also directed the authorities to ensure adequate security at the temple, the Express Tribune reports.
The court gave the order after hearing a Hindu woman Phool Vatte’s plea, whose husband Pandit Kambhu Ram owned the temple and had pleaded that his land should not be made Waqf property during the partition of the Indian sub-continent.
Vatte’s attorney, Pervez Iqbal, said the owner allowed the police to use the temple and its adjacent building for storing explosives, but had to struggle to regain its possession in 2002.
He said the earlier petitions seeking worship at the temple were rejected by the Peshawar High Court and a civil court.
“Instead, what we did was, we wrote an application to the Supreme Court chief justice, the PHC chief justice and other functionaries which was when the PHC chief justice turned the application into a petition on a suo motu and allowed for worship to be carried out at the temple,” Iqbal said.
A consultant to the Kyber Pakhtunkhwa Archaeological Department, Dr Abdul Samad, said the temple ownership cannot handed over to a private party as it is an archaeological site.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you