Pakistan to release 34 Indian prisoners this week
Islamabad: Pakistan will release 34 Indian
prisoners, including a fisherman suffering from cancer, this
week as part of steps to normalise relations between the two
The prisoners, including 26 fishermen and eight others
arrested on charges like illegally crossing the border, are
expected to be repatriated via the Wagah border on April 13,
Indian and Pakistani officials said today.
However, leading Pakistani rights activist Ansar Burney
has offered to immediately airlift fisherman Samant Lakshman
Bambhaniya, who is suffering from cancer of the leg.
"I had taken up Bambhaniya`s case with the President and
Prime Minister and would like to see that he gets home as
quickly as possible," Burney said.
Bambhaniya belongs to Dandi village in Gujarat and is
currently being held at a jail in Karachi, Burney said.
"Fishermen of both countries are frequently arrested
because some times while fishing, they unintentionally enter
each other`s territory and get caught," he said.
"These fishermen have to suffer for so many years in the
jails of Pakistan or India. They are illiterate and innocent,"
India and Pakistan have released scores of prisoners, a
majority of them fishermen, since they resumed their peace
process last year after a gap of over two years in the wake of
the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
The two sides are working on an arrangement for the speedy
repatriation of fishermen detained for inadvertently crossing
the maritime boundary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read