Pakistan to seal Afghan border May 11 for election
Islamabad: Pakistani officials say they will seal their border with Afghanistan and restrict the movement of Afghan refugees on May 11 during parliamentary elections. Officials at the Interior Ministry and the election commission said today the measure is aimed at preventing terrorist attacks during the vote.
Officials did not say how they would restrict the movement of hundreds of thousands of people spread out across the country or close the porous border.
Pakistan announced similar measures in the past but failed to take action.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to brief reporters.
About 1.6 million registered Afghan refugees and 1 million other Afghans live in Pakistan.
They are a legacy of their home country`s repeated conflicts. Pakistanis often accuse them of importing terrorism and crime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal