Pakistan to seal Afghan border May 11 for election
Islamabad: Pakistani officials say they will seal their border with Afghanistan and restrict the movement of Afghan refugees on May 11 during parliamentary elections. Officials at the Interior Ministry and the election commission said today the measure is aimed at preventing terrorist attacks during the vote.
Officials did not say how they would restrict the movement of hundreds of thousands of people spread out across the country or close the porous border.
Pakistan announced similar measures in the past but failed to take action.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to brief reporters.
About 1.6 million registered Afghan refugees and 1 million other Afghans live in Pakistan.
They are a legacy of their home country`s repeated conflicts. Pakistanis often accuse them of importing terrorism and crime.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!