Pakistan to set up national forensic agency
Islamabad: Pakistan has decided to establish a national forensic agency (NFA) due to the worsening law and order situation in the country and a budget of Rs 2 billion (USD 23 million) has been approved for setting it up, an official said.
The Express Tribune on Thursday reported that the poor law and order situation prompted the government to set up the NFA that will provide forensic science services to the police, the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) and other government agencies that require it for investigation.
A senior official said that the decision to set up the NFA was taken due to the frequent attacks on security forces and on public places.
The NFA will be run by the Interior Ministry and its head office will be set up in Islamabad.
The branches of the new agency will be spread across the country, barring Punjab.
"Punjab has already worked on it and it has developed a forensic sciences system," the official was quoted as saying.
He pointed out that a forensic laboratory that was set up in 1974 is now outdated as the nature of crime has completely changed.
The NFA has been approved after hectic efforts spanning almost 12 years, the official said, adding that it was necessary to establish such an agency, considering the worsening law and order situation.
The agency will have multiple facilities including forensic chemistry, the study of detection and identification of drugs, accelerants used in arson cases, explosives and gunshot residue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH