Pakistan to tap Interpol for Musharraf`s arrest
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has been directed to write to global policing agency Interpol for issuing an arrest warrant against former Pakistani president Pervez Musharraf, Interior Minister Rehman Malik has said.
Malik said the FIA would approach the Interpol within a few days for a warrant to arrest the former military leader and bring him back to the country to face charges of involvement in the assassination of former prime minister Benazir Bhutto.
"We have started the procedure and we will bring Musharraf back to the country soon," Malik was quoted as saying by the Daily Times.
A UN report in 2010 accused the Musharraf-led government of failing to protect Bhutto, who had returned to Pakistan from exile to run for parliamentary elections and the prime minister`s post.
Musharraf, who has been living in exile in London and Dubai since resigning in 2008, has denied the allegations.
He has also been charged with involvement in the killing of Baloch tribal leader Akbar Bugti, detaining judges of several courts as well as abducting a nuclear scientist.
Bugti was widely perceived to be creating a wave of terrorism in Balochistan in 2004. He went into hiding in 2005 and was killed in August 2006 in a cave in Kohlu, about 240 km from Quetta.
The Balochistan High Court in November last year issued arrest warrants for Musharraf in the Bugti murder case.
In the assassination of Benazir Bhutto, an anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi has declared Musharraf a "proclaimed offender" as he did not appear for a hearing.
Musharraf was also declared a proclaimed offender by a court in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa for the alleged abduction of nuclear scientist Attiqur Rehman of the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission in 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof