Pakistan to witness three-way contest for PM post
Islamabad: The election of a new prime minister by Pakistan`s National Assembly on Friday will be a three-way contest between Raja Pervaiz Ashraf of the ruling PPP, Sardar Mehtab Abbasi of the main opposition PML-N and Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman.
The Pakistan People`s Party and its allies are comfortably placed in the 342-member National Assembly to ensure that Ashraf is elected without a hitch.
The PPP has 124 members in the lower house of Parliament while its allies like the Muttahida Qaumi Movement, Awami National Party, PML-Q and PML-F have a total of 58 seats.
Several independent lawmakers and parliamentarians from the tribal areas too are expected to back the PPP`s candidate in the election.
The PML-N is unlikely to make much of a dent by fielding former North West Frontier Province chief minister Sardar Mehtab Abbasi as its nominee even though it is the second largest party in the National Assembly with 91 members.
Commentators have ridiculed the Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam`s decision to field Maulana Fazlur Rehman, who has long harboured a dream to be Pakistan`s premier.
He has claimed he decided to contest the polls to protect democracy.
After the election, the majority candidate will emerge as the prime minister-elect. After taking oath, the new premier will seek a vote of confidence from the House.
The election was necessitated because a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry disqualified Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani on Tuesday in response to several petitions that had challenged the National Assembly Speaker`s decision not to disqualify the premier following his conviction of contempt.
The apex court ruled that the post of premier had been vacant since April 26, when another seven-judge bench had convicted Gilani of contempt for refusing to reopen graft cases in Switzerland against President Asif Ali Zardari.
Ashraf too could face problems with the Supreme Court, which had directed authorities in March to take legal action against him and several others for clearing rental power projects.
Ashraf was power minister when contracts were signed for several rental projects, which were part of the PPP-led government`s strategy to overcome a crippling energy shortage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly