Pakistan troops kill 18 militants in northwest
Parachinar: A Pakistani paramilitary spokesman says troops have killed at least 18 suspected militants in an intense gunbattle near the Afghan border.
Frontier Corps Lt Col Tahir Akram says the fighting on Friday involved militants who attacked troops while trying to retake a security checkpoint in the Taliban-infested Orakzai tribal region.
He said the security forces repulsed the attack and captured four insurgents. One soldier was wounded.
Government forces had evicted insurgents last week from the same checkpoint in the Baizoti area.
Pakistan began a major operation against insurgents in Orakzai in mid-March. Nearly 300 militants have been killed so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?