Pakistan troops kill 18 militants in northwest
Parachinar: A Pakistani paramilitary spokesman says troops have killed at least 18 suspected militants in an intense gunbattle near the Afghan border.
Frontier Corps Lt Col Tahir Akram says the fighting on Friday involved militants who attacked troops while trying to retake a security checkpoint in the Taliban-infested Orakzai tribal region.
He said the security forces repulsed the attack and captured four insurgents. One soldier was wounded.
Government forces had evicted insurgents last week from the same checkpoint in the Baizoti area.
Pakistan began a major operation against insurgents in Orakzai in mid-March. Nearly 300 militants have been killed so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!