Pakistan troops kill 20 militants in northwest
Parachinar: A Pakistani government official says security forces have killed at least 20 militants after coming under attack near the Afghan border.
Wajid Khan says 22 troops were also wounded in Thursday`s gunbattle in the northwestern Kurram tribal region.
He says the fighting began when a group of Pakistani militants attacked a security post. The troops returned fire and killed 20 militants.
The death toll could not be independently confirmed as the fighting was in a remote mountainous area that is off-limits to journalists.
Kurram is considered a main base for the Pakistani Taliban. Scores of insurgents are believed to hiding there after escaping military operations in the nearby tribal regions in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Youth arrested from Parbhani for suspected ISIS links
- Shocking! UP man caught having sexual relationship with 140 women, which includes lady police officer - READ
- Do not intervene in South China Sea dispute: China tells Japan
- Nepal PM KP Sharma Oli steps down
- Centuries-old fair symbolising maize blossom begins in Himachal