Pakistan troops kill 20 militants in northwest
Parachinar: A Pakistani government official says security forces have killed at least 20 militants after coming under attack near the Afghan border.
Wajid Khan says 22 troops were also wounded in Thursday`s gunbattle in the northwestern Kurram tribal region.
He says the fighting began when a group of Pakistani militants attacked a security post. The troops returned fire and killed 20 militants.
The death toll could not be independently confirmed as the fighting was in a remote mountainous area that is off-limits to journalists.
Kurram is considered a main base for the Pakistani Taliban. Scores of insurgents are believed to hiding there after escaping military operations in the nearby tribal regions in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach