Pakistan troops kill 20 militants in northwest
Parachinar: A Pakistani government official says security forces have killed at least 20 militants after coming under attack near the Afghan border.
Wajid Khan says 22 troops were also wounded in Thursday`s gunbattle in the northwestern Kurram tribal region.
He says the fighting began when a group of Pakistani militants attacked a security post. The troops returned fire and killed 20 militants.
The death toll could not be independently confirmed as the fighting was in a remote mountainous area that is off-limits to journalists.
Kurram is considered a main base for the Pakistani Taliban. Scores of insurgents are believed to hiding there after escaping military operations in the nearby tribal regions in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Olympics 2016: Andy Murray dominates in Rio Games, outsider Monica Puig arrives on big stage
- SALUTE! What a mom she is! This lady catches her son teasing girl - WATCH what happened next
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra's 'workout tips' will give you major 'Baar Baar Dekho' feels! Pic inside
- PM inaugurates Stor Palace, says Indians will always be with Afghanistan
- Bangladesh PM Hasina accuses BNP of being behind 2014 grenade attack