Pakistan-US ties to grow in diverse fields: Gilani
Islamabad: The friendly relations between Pakistan and the US will continue to grow in diverse fields despite challenges, said Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani here.
"All relationships go through challenging times. The real challenge is to convert them into opportunities for the mutual benefit of our two countries and people," he said at a function held at the US embassy here on Monday to mark the 236th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.
"This is the real test of the strength of any relationship. It is in this spirit that our two governments remain engaged in working together to further strengthen our ties," he added.
Gilani said the values of freedom, democracy and human rights have inspired millions of people and scores of nations around the world.
"It is also a bond that unites our two nations. As we embarked on our own struggle for independence in the early decades of the last century, we too yearned to create a homeland where the values of democracy, of dignity and of equality of human beings would thrive and reign supreme," the APP news agency quoted Gilani as saying.
"We remain steadfast in our resolve to root out the twin menaces of terrorism and extremism. Our democratic government, in fact, took ownership of this war and has united the entire nation to wipe out this scourge," he added.
He said the strategic dialogue between the two countries provides a framework for further strengthening the bilateral ties in the areas energy, agriculture, defence, information technology, women empowerment, trade and financial issues, education and health, among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre