Pakistan, US to hold strategic dialogue in May
Islamabad: The United States and Pakistan have agreed to hold their next round of strategic dialogue in May.
The announcement regarding dates and the venue of the bilateral talks is yet to be made, Samaa TV reports.
The US-Pak strategic dialogue was put on hold in the wake of a diplomatic standoff between Islamabad and Washington over the detention of Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) contractor Raymond Davis, who was taken in custody for killing two Pakistani men in Lahore on January 27 during what he said was an attempt to rob him.
On March 16- the same day when he was indicted for double murder- US national Davis was freed and quickly flown out of Pakistan after the heirs of the two victims told a local court that they had pardoned him in lieu of blood-money, bringing the one and a half month-long saga to an abrupt end.
As the Washington-Islamabad stalemate wore off following Davis’ release, Obama administration gave a go-ahead to the dialogue’s next round in May, the report said.
Pakistan wants Islamabad to be the venue for the dialogue since the last dialogue was held in Washington, but the US is opposed to the idea of holding talks in Pakistan, the report added.
The crucial US-Pak dialogue will focus on various matters of mutual interest, including security, economy, education and health.
According to sources, the Pakistan Government will appoint a new foreign minister to convene these negotiations.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know