Pakistan, US to hold strategic dialogue in May
Islamabad: The United States and Pakistan have agreed to hold their next round of strategic dialogue in May.
The announcement regarding dates and the venue of the bilateral talks is yet to be made, Samaa TV reports.
The US-Pak strategic dialogue was put on hold in the wake of a diplomatic standoff between Islamabad and Washington over the detention of Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) contractor Raymond Davis, who was taken in custody for killing two Pakistani men in Lahore on January 27 during what he said was an attempt to rob him.
On March 16- the same day when he was indicted for double murder- US national Davis was freed and quickly flown out of Pakistan after the heirs of the two victims told a local court that they had pardoned him in lieu of blood-money, bringing the one and a half month-long saga to an abrupt end.
As the Washington-Islamabad stalemate wore off following Davis’ release, Obama administration gave a go-ahead to the dialogue’s next round in May, the report said.
Pakistan wants Islamabad to be the venue for the dialogue since the last dialogue was held in Washington, but the US is opposed to the idea of holding talks in Pakistan, the report added.
The crucial US-Pak dialogue will focus on various matters of mutual interest, including security, economy, education and health.
According to sources, the Pakistan Government will appoint a new foreign minister to convene these negotiations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’