Pakistan wants full SCO membership
Islamabad: President Asif Ali Zardari would pitch for Pakistan`s full membership of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) during the two-day meeting of the regional grouping that starts on Wednesday, it was reported here.
Besides participating in the SCO meeting, Zardari would hold meetings with Chinese leadership on future cooperation in the entire spectrum of bilateral relations between the two countries, Associated Press of Pakistan reported.
President`s spokesperson Farhatullah Babar said that Pakistan has been actively participating in the SCO and is keen to get its full membership.
The SCO comprises regional giants Russia and China and the energy-rich Central Asian states, including Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan.
Pakistan, along with India, Iran and Mongolia, are currently observers at the SCO.
The future of the organisation and the expansion of membership will loom large on the agenda at 12th SCO summit in Beijing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway