Pakistan wants Sanaullah’s body back, demands probe
Zee Media Bureau
Islamabad: Pakistan on Thursday requested India to return the body of prisoner Sanaullah Ranjay, who died in a hospital in Chandigarh after being attacked in a Jammu jail last week.
Ranjay, who was extremely critical for the last few days and had suffered renal failure on Wednesday, died just before 8 am on Thursday at the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in Chandigarh.
Pakistan has further demanded an impartial international probe into the incident, which is expected to shake the already tense ties between the South Asian neighbours.
"We have requested the government of India for an international inquiry into the brutal attack on the Pakistani citizen. We request the government of India to immediately give his body to his family members so the funeral can take place according to Islamic rituals," Manzoor Ali Memon, one of the three Pakistani diplomats granted consular access to the prisoner, told a TV channel.
"We are in deep grief and we are shocked. We express our deep condolences to Sanaullah`s family and people of Pakistan for the brutal and extrajudicial killing of the innocent citizen of Pakistan. The killing has taken place under the nose of Jammu and Kashmir jail authorities," Memon said.
Meanwhile, Pakistan`s Foreign Office spokesman Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry said: "The brutal manner in which Sanaullah was attacked in the jail is most unfortunate and a matter of deep concern for the Government of Pakistan".
He also noted that Pakistan`s caretaker Prime Minister Mir Hazar Khan Khoso had called on the Indian government to "ensure the safety and security of all Pakistani prisoners in Indian jails".
"We also reiterate our call to the Government of India to hold focused discussions on the conditions of Pakistani prisoners in Indian jails and repatriate those who have already completed their sentences as per the Consular Access Agreement between Pakistan and India," he said.
The Pakistani was in deep coma ever since he was flown in here from Jammu last Friday. He was serving life imprisonment at Jammu`s Kot Bhalwal Jail.
He was attacked last Friday by an Indian prisoner and then flown from Jammu to Chandigarh for treatment.
"There is a need for agreement of security and safety of prisoners in jail," Memon told a news channel here.
Ranjay had developed jaundice and other internal infections on Tuesday, doctors said.
The attack on Ranjay took place a day after Sarabjit Singh, an Indian prisoner in Pakistan, succumbed to grievous injuries following a murderous assault in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat Jail.
(With Agencies inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow