Pakistan wants to buy more F-16 fighter jets
Islamabad: Pakistan is looking to purchase more used F-16 fighter aircraft from the US to scale up its air capabilities "because of the disparity with India", it was reported here Thursday.
"We will take as many as they (the US) are willing to give," a diplomatic source told the Dawn in Washington.
The F-16 Fighting Falcon is a multi-role fighter aircraft that can perform a wide variety of military missions.
For fiscal 2009-10, Pakistan budget hiked defence spending to Rs.347 billion. Of this, Rs.343 billion was allocated for the armed forces, Rs.463 million for defence production and Rs.840 million for the defence division.
The US Congress agreed five years back to give Islamabad 28 F-16C/Ds under its excess defence articles initiative. Fourteen of these aircraft have been delivered.
The media report said that some of the aircraft are used for extracting serviceable parts for the existing fleet while those fit for overhauling are made part of the air force.
"Because of the disparity with India, our needs are huge," the diplomatic source was quoted as saying.
"Ideally, we should buy new F-16s but the current economy does not allow us to pay $40-50 million a piece."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter