Pakistan will not interfere in Bangladesh`s war crimes trial
Dhaka: Pakistan Tuesday said it "will not interfere" in Bangladesh`s move to try those who killed unarmed civilians in the run up to the 1971 struggle for freedom.
Pakistan`s envoy here Ashraf Qureshi called on Bangladesh Law Minister Shafique Ahmed to declare that the "war crimes" trial were the latter`s "internal affair".
The minister was quick to note that this was "a change in position" on the part of Islamabad, since Qureshi, on his arrival here some months ago, had called the trial an `internal` affair but had regretted the move.
Dhaka retaliated to the expression of regret by saying that Pakistan should hold a parallel trial of those who fled after the two countries separated.
Qureshi told the media after the meeting with Ahmed that Islamabad will not launch any campaign against the initiative, Star Online, website of The Daily Star reported.
"Pakistan has changed its position about holding the trial of the war criminals," Shafique Ahmed told reporters.
He also said that trial of the war criminals is an "internal affair of Bangladesh".
"Bangladesh is a sovereign country. Pakistan believes in its sovereignty. So, it will not interfere into these internal affairs of Bangladesh," Qureshi said.
The law minister said there is no confusion over holding the trial of the war crimes and the crimes against humanity committed during the liberation war of the country.
Bangladesh says three million people perished in the nine-month freedom struggle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Banwarilal Purohit sworn in as Assam Governor
- Congress' '27 saal, UP behaal' yatra reaches Amethi
- Centre trying to run Delhi indirectly, says Sisodia
- Rio Olympics fallout: OP Jaisha alleges official apathy, AFI refutes charge
- Wriddhiman Saha, Ravichandran Ashwin biggest positives in this series: Virat Kohli