Pakistan woman lawmaker succumbs to bullet injuries
Lahore: A Pakistani woman parliamentarian, who was critically injured in a gun attack by unidentified men two days ago, succumbed to her injuries early today at a hospital here.
Muttahida Quami Movement (MQM) lawmaker Tahira Asif had left her residence on Wednesday and was going to Islamabad to attend the National Assembly session when two motorcyclists intercepted her car at Iqbal Town area and opened fire on her, police said.
She suffered three bullets injuries and was rushed to Sheikh Zayed Hospital.
A senior doctor at the hospital said, "the doctors tried their best to save her life but to no avail. She breathed her last on early hours today."
Police were investigating different aspects with special focus on robbery, acting Lahore police chief Zulfiqar Hamid said.
"Tahira was also involved in a property dispute with some people, and we are looking into this aspect as well," he said.
On the basis of a complaint by Tahira`s husband, Muhammad Asif, assistant director at the Federal Investigation Agency, an FIR has been registered against the unidentified gunmen.
"We have no enmity with anyone and it is a case of target killing," Asif said.
Meanwhile, MQM convener Khalid Maqbol said, "Tahira`s murder was a target attack and it seems that she has been targeted to terrorise MQM in Punjab province."
The party has announced a three-day mourning.
MQM chief Altaf Husain demanded Punjab police to arrest her killers within three days.
Tahira, who was in her early 50s, is survived by two sons and a daughter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'