Pakistan won`t allow compromise on dignity: Khar
Islamabad: Pakistan will not allow its dignity to be compromised, said Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar amid heightened tension between the Washington and Islamabad.
The US-Pakistan ties became strained over an accusation that Pakistan`s spy agency was helping the Haqqani network.
Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar in an interview aired on Wednesday reiterated Islamabad`s strong exception to Admiral Mike Mullen`s assertions of Pakistani complicity with Afghan insurgents and stressed there are no unilateral solutions.
"We have strong reservations against a statement of this type, which was made by a person who is representing a country with which we have had many (counterterrorism) successes," she told National Public Radio. Khar was in the US to attend the UN General Assembly.
She called for understanding that the "dignity of any sovereign state must be respected. You don`t want to give Pakistanis the message that their lives are any less important than yours. That is a wrong message to give".
In addition to human sacrifices, the war against terrorists has cost USD 68 billion to Pakistan, reported Associated Press of Pakistan from Washington.
"Most of the money that comes is reimbursement for money that Pakistan has already spent. Let`s not look at it as an aid syndrome or a relationship that is determined by how much who is giving each other," she said.
Pakistan would be better off with a safe neighbourhood, she stressed, reaffirming Islamabad`s commitment to a peaceful region.
Khar noted that her country and the US "need each other" and "are fighting against the same people" but emphasised that "Pakistan`s dignity must not be compromised".
When asked why Pakistan had reacted so strongly to Mullen`s comments, Khar said 30,000 Pakistanis have died due to the war against terror.
"Imagine, how the US would react? We have 6,000-some soldiers who have died in the battle," she was quoted as saying.
"Imagine how the US would react if such a number had lost their lives and then comments would come from other countries, which said that you are the problem, you are part of the problem."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi