Pakistani accused of plotting to bomb US consulate denied bail
A Pakistani man facing possible deportation over allegations he plotted to bomb the US consulate and financial buildings in Toronto was denied bail at a hearing on Monday.
Ottawa: A Pakistani man facing possible deportation over allegations he plotted to bomb the US consulate and financial buildings in Toronto was denied bail at a hearing on Monday.
Jahanzeb Malik was arrested last week by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) following a federal police anti-terror squad investigation.
The CBSA told the Immigration and Refugee Board hearing that the probe is continuing, according to a board spokesman. No formal charges have yet been laid in the case.
In the meantime, Malik was ordered held until a next detention review hearing on April 14, board spokesman Charles Hawkins told AFP.
Malik came to Canada as a student in 2004 and was granted permanent residency five years later.
The CBSA said he planned "to build remote controlled bombs to blow up the US Consulate and other buildings in the financial district on Toronto."
He also was alleged to have hoped to make a video of the attack "to encourage others to do the same," according to board documents.
Rather than file charges, authorities took him before the Immigration and Refugee Board to seek his deportation to Pakistan.