Pakistani booked under blasphemy law for trying to burn Bible
Islamabad: Pakistani police have arrested
a Muslim man and booked him under the controversial blasphemy
law for allegedly tearing up a copy of Bible in a church in
Punjab`s provincial capital Lahore.
Akhtar Hussain allegedly tore up the Bible at Saint
Joseph’s Church on Lawrence Road yesterday, saying his action
was a reaction to recent the burning of the Quran by two
He also tried to burn the Bible.
Hussain is a resident of Chiragh Shah Town in Kasur
and an employee of a factory located near Suey Asil.
Police officials said security guards at the church
caught Hussain and handed him over to police.
A case was registered against Hussain at the Civil
Lines police station under the blasphemy law. If convicted,
Hussain could be jailed for 10 years.
According to the FIR, Hussain bought the Bible from
Yuhnaabad, a Christian-majority area, and came to Lahore to
During questioning by police, Hussain confessed that
he offered prayers at the Masjid-e-Shuhada and then went to
the church located a short distance from the mosque.
Police officials quoted Hussain as saying that he
preferred to be killed for the sake of Islam.
He told investigators that he had committed the act
in retaliation for the burning of the Quran in the US and the
Pakistan government’s "silence" on the issue.
Masiha Millat Party chief Aslam Sahotra told
the media that Hussain committed the outrage to hurt the
sentiments of Christians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city