Pakistani boycott hits Kabul meet of Ulemas
Kabul: The decision by Pakistani religious scholars not to attend a conference of Afghan and Pakistani Ulema here in March has all but scuttled the meeting, reports Xinhua.
The chief of Pakistani clerics, Mufti Abu Huraira, informed the Afghan Ulema council last week that it will boycott the conference, saying it was being used as an attempt to target the Taliban.
Another Pakistani religious leader, Tahir Ashrafi, has also announced he would not attend the conference because it might be used to issue a "fatwa" or religious decree against the Taliban.
The Afghan government has endeavoured to bring together leading religious scholars from both countries in Kabul to denounce violence and suicide bombings by militants against Afghan and NATO-led troops in Afghanistan.
Afghan observers say the reason why the Pakistani clerics have refused to directly hit the Taliban is that many of them were once tutors for the Taliban militants and would never issue a "fatwa" against them.
The Pakistani Ulema, according to an Afghan observer, have been supporting Taliban-led militancy in Afghanistan.
The Taliban had earlier called on the Pakistani Ulema not to attend the Kabul conference.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!