Pakistani commission`s visit to India delayed by festival
Islamabad/Lahore: A Pakistani judicial commission`s visit to India to cross-examine witnesses of the Mumbai terror attacks has been delayed because of the 10-day Ganesh Chaturthi festival, a defence lawyer said on Tuesday.
"The Indian government informed us that the visit (planned for) tomorrow cannot take place due to Ganesh Chaturthi as the courts (in Mumbai) are closed," lawyer Riaz Akram Cheema said.
"They will propose to the Pakistan government new dates in a week," Cheema, part of the team of lawyers defending the seven Pakistani accused, told PTI.
The crucial visit has been delayed twice this month. While India had given a date for early September, the team could not leave due to the cancellation of a Pakistan International Airlines flight.
The visit was then fixed for September 7 but it was again cancelled due to the non-availability of a flight.
Asked about the development, Special Public Prosecutor Chaudhury Mohammed Azhar told PTI, "I am yet to hear from officials about any change in plans about the visit slated for tomorrow."
Cheema said Pakistani authorities had not yet taken their passports to prepare travel documents like visas.
The visit to India to cross-examine four witnesses is being undertaken to take forward the prosecution of the seven suspects, including Lashkar-e-Taiba commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi.
The witnesses are the magistrate who recorded LeT member Ajmal Kasab`s confessional statement, the chief investigating officer and two doctors who conducted the autopsy of the terrorists involved in the Mumbai attacks in November 2008.
This will be the panel`s second visit to India. A report submitted by the commission after its first visit in March 2012 was rejected by an anti-terrorism court as the panel`s members were not allowed to cross-examine witnesses.
The next hearing in the Mumbai attacks case here is scheduled for September 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what