Pakistani court acquits four in Marriott hotel bombing
Last Updated: Wednesday, May 05, 2010, 21:50
  
Islamabad: A Pakistani anti-terrorism court on Wednesday acquitted four men accused of involvement in the 2008 suicide car bombing of the five-star Marriott Hotel that killed nearly 60 people.

Judge Malik Muhammad Akram Awan of the anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi acquitted suspects Muhammad Aqeel alias Dr Usman, Rana Ilyas, Muhammad Hamid Afzal and Tehseenullah Jan and observed that the prosecution had failed to produce any evidence against them.

The prosecution also failed to prove the case against the four suspects, the judge said.

Awan said the suspects should be freed if they were not in custody in connection with any other case.

Nearly 60 people, including two US Marines and the Czech ambassador to Pakistan, were killed when a suicide bomber blew up a truck loaded with a huge amount of explosives within the compound of the Marriott in September 2008.

Dr Usman, currently believed to be in the custody of Pakistani security agencies, led an audacious assault by militants on the army's heavily guarded General Headquarters in Rawalpindi in October last year.

Nine attackers and 15 security personnel and civilians were killed in that attack.

PTI


First Published: Wednesday, May 05, 2010, 21:50


comments powered by Disqus