Pakistani court adjourns Mumbai attacks case till March 12
Lahore: The hearing in the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks trial against seven Pakistani suspects was today postponed till next week following a boycott by lawyers to protest the recent suicide assault at a court premises in Islamabad.
The next hearing in the case related to attacks, that killed 166 people in Mumbai in November 2008, will take place on March 12.
The hearing was postponed following a week-long boycott call given by the lawyers to protest the suicide attack on the Islamabad court on Monday in which 11 people were killed including an Additional Sessions Court judge.
Lashkar-e-Taiba commanders Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, Abdul Wajid, Mazhar Iqbal, Hamad Amin Sadiq, Shahid Jameel Riaz, Jamil Ahmed and Anjum have been charged with planning, financing and executing the attacks.
The accused are lodged at Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi, where they are undergoing trial behind closed doors for security reasons.India has already expressed dismay over slow progress of the trial, which is becoming an irritant in bilateral ties.
Indian authorities have urged Pakistan to speed up the prosecution of the suspects.
Sartaj Aziz, Advisor to the premier on National Security and Foreign Affairs, had assured India`s External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid last month that there had been forward movement in the case and a verdict was likely in a couple of months.
Pakistan has acknowledged that the conspiracy behind the attacks was hatched on its soil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof