Pakistani daily hopes Sharif, Kayani work together
Islamabad: A leading Pakistani daily on Monday hoped that incoming prime minister Nawaz Sharif and Army Chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani "can at least be expected to try and work together".
Nawaz Sharif, who is all set to become the prime minister for the third time, had a long meeting in Lahore with General Kayani.
"Of one meeting is not made a relationship, functional or otherwise...," said an editorial in the Dawn on Monday.
But the three-hour tête-à-tête "suggests that both sides can at least be expected to try and work together in the months ahead".
The daily said that the "Army`s hands-off approach towards the elections, for the most part, will have gone some way in addressing the PML-N`s concerns..."
Now that Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz has swept to unexpectedly large gains in its strongholds in an on-schedule election with minimal interference by the army-led establishment, "the party may be more willing to look at the Army leadership as a partner rather than a potential adversary".
The editorial noted that Sharif`s suggestions in the days leading up to the election that a Sharif-led government will determine national security and foreign policies and the army will be expected to follow it "will have raised some eyebrows but there was also enough in Sharif`s comments to suggest that he is no way spoiling for a fight".
"More important will be how the incoming prime minister decides to try and influence two key relationships: with India and Afghanistan.”
"On India, Sharif`s intentions are well known and it can be inferred that the Army would prefer a slower rate of progress than the PML-N supremo appears to want," it added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed