Pakistani daily lauds judge for peace message to India
Islamabad: Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry`s suggestion to a visiting Indian lawyers` delegation that negotiations can help settle any dispute sends "an important message of peace across the border", said a Pakistani daily Wednesday.
An editorial in the News International said that chief justice of Pakistan`s straightforward suggestion, while talking to the delegation of Indian lawyers, that negotiations can help settle any dispute is "significant".
Chief Justice Chaudhry`s words "send an important message of peace across the border", it said.
"It is important that such words be shared by as many as possible and, for the sake of regional harmony, visits such as the current one by senior Indian lawyers, be encouraged," it added.
The daily added that at a time that is undoubtedly hard as far as Pakistan`s domestic situation goes, the chief justice has "struck an optimistic note by stating that Pakistan`s agencies and institutions are capable of tackling terror and militancy - assurances many in India will want to hear".
The editorial hoped that the chief justice is right when he says "our institutions can handle the problem and actively demonstrate that they can".
"We also need to drive home the message that the problem of militancy is one that exists on either side of the border, and can only be settled if the affected countries work together," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31