Pakistani daily lauds judge for peace message to India
Islamabad: Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry`s suggestion to a visiting Indian lawyers` delegation that negotiations can help settle any dispute sends "an important message of peace across the border", said a Pakistani daily Wednesday.
An editorial in the News International said that chief justice of Pakistan`s straightforward suggestion, while talking to the delegation of Indian lawyers, that negotiations can help settle any dispute is "significant".
Chief Justice Chaudhry`s words "send an important message of peace across the border", it said.
"It is important that such words be shared by as many as possible and, for the sake of regional harmony, visits such as the current one by senior Indian lawyers, be encouraged," it added.
The daily added that at a time that is undoubtedly hard as far as Pakistan`s domestic situation goes, the chief justice has "struck an optimistic note by stating that Pakistan`s agencies and institutions are capable of tackling terror and militancy - assurances many in India will want to hear".
The editorial hoped that the chief justice is right when he says "our institutions can handle the problem and actively demonstrate that they can".
"We also need to drive home the message that the problem of militancy is one that exists on either side of the border, and can only be settled if the affected countries work together," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in