Pakistani daily questions civil awards
Islamabad: Pakistan`s civil awards are now "tawdry pieces of junk jewellery" handed out to people who have in reality achieved little beyond keeping their political boats afloat, said a daily that described award-winner Interior Minister Rehman Malik as a "bravura exponent of the foot-in-mouth syndrome".
An editorial in a newspaper on Monday said that the "worthies were amply awarded by the President (Asif Ali Zardari) at a ceremony held at his private planet, The Presidency".
"Head of the queue for a Hilal-e-Imtiaz was none other than that bravura exponent of the foot-in-mouth syndrome the Interior Minister Rehman Malik. An award was his rightful prize," it said.
The daily pointed out that notably absent from the awards line-up were people like Dr Ehtesham Anwar who did the "impossible and cleaned up the Islamabad Taxation and Excise Department - for which he was rewarded by being placed OSD by the Interior Ministry".
"Quite right too. We cannot have people going around cleaning up corruption and things like that. Can we?" it wondered.
It said that the whole point of making awards for public service is that they are based on merit, apolitical and "most definitely not to be in the gift of public servants - bureaucrats - who have developed a strong tendency to award themselves".
Citing the example of Nargis Sethi, the daily said: "She is the cabinet secretary and as such part of the decision making process which determines who is to be awarded. Did she absent herself from any discussion about an award for herself?"
The editorial rued that the awards are "now tawdry pieces of junk jewellery handed out to people who have in reality achieved little beyond keeping their political boats afloat - and by extension the boat of the government of the day".
"The only redeeming feature is that these awards can be withdrawn by any future government. So lucky winners, celebrate quickly," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in