Pakistani election official shot dead
Islamabad: An election official in Pakistan`s southwest Balochistan province was on Tuesday shot dead by unidentified motorcycle-riding gunmen in Quetta city, a media report said.
Geo News said the provincial deputy election commissioner, identified as Ziaullah, was on his way home from office when the gunmen attacked his vehicle near Chandi Chowk in the Satellite Town suburb.
The election officer`s bodyguard, who was driving the car, was injured in the attack.
The attackers sped away from the site. A rickshaw driver took the injured officer to a hospital where he died from his injuries.
Soon after the attack, police blocked all exit roads in the area and launched a search operation.
Police officer Muhammad Tariq said the incident seemed to be an act of target killing.
"The two armed motorcyclists attacked the officer and he received eight bullets in his body," Tariq told Xinhua.
Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf condemned the incident and asked for a prompt investigation into the killing.
Last week, the chief election commissioner of Balochistan province submitted a report to the Election Commission of Pakistan describing security threats in the province ahead of general elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof