Pakistani envoys to US and UN in a fix
Islamabad: Pakistan`s envoys to the US and the UN, Sherry Rehman and Abdullah Hussain Haroon, are reportedly facing diplomatic problems after Yousuf Raza Gilani`s disqualification as the prime minister by the Supreme Court.
Ambassador Rehman, who was appointed after the recall of Husain Haqqani, was also enjoying the status of a federal minister that ended after the dissolution of Gilani`s cabinet, Geo News reported on Friday.
Rehman said she was categorically directed to continue her work till the next order.
Haroon, the permanent representative to the UN, however, said he was tendering his resignation and will wait till its approval or till receiving further directives.
Haqqani was forced to resign last year after Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz claimed the envoy had asked him to pass on a memo from President Asif Ali Zardari to then chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff Mike Mullen, seeking help from the US government in case of a military coup in Pakistan following the killing of Osama bin Laden.
Haqqani was recalled from Washington and faced a Supreme Court enquiry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred