Pakistani forces kill 20 militants near Afghan border
Parachinar: A local government official says Pakistani security forces have killed at least 20 militants near the Afghan border.
Sami Ullah said troops also captured six insurgents after the intense gunbattle on Saturday in the northwestern Orakzai tribal region.
It was not immediately possible to get independent confirmation of the casualties and the identities of those killed in the remote and volatile region.
Pakistani forces launched an operation in Orakzai in mid-March to flush out militants who last year fled an Army onslaught further south.
Ullah said about 250 militants have died so far.
The fighting has forced out at least 10,000 civilians who have moved to a government camp in nearby Kohat. Orakzai usually has a population of 450,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror