Pakistani forces kill 20 militants near Afghan border
Parachinar: A local government official says Pakistani security forces have killed at least 20 militants near the Afghan border.
Sami Ullah said troops also captured six insurgents after the intense gunbattle on Saturday in the northwestern Orakzai tribal region.
It was not immediately possible to get independent confirmation of the casualties and the identities of those killed in the remote and volatile region.
Pakistani forces launched an operation in Orakzai in mid-March to flush out militants who last year fled an Army onslaught further south.
Ullah said about 250 militants have died so far.
The fighting has forced out at least 10,000 civilians who have moved to a government camp in nearby Kohat. Orakzai usually has a population of 450,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Make your smoothie a successful summer diet with these magical ingredients!
- Delhi govt introduces 'Change-makers in education' fellowship
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'