Pakistani forces kill 20 militants near Afghan border
Parachinar: A local government official says Pakistani security forces have killed at least 20 militants near the Afghan border.
Sami Ullah said troops also captured six insurgents after the intense gunbattle on Saturday in the northwestern Orakzai tribal region.
It was not immediately possible to get independent confirmation of the casualties and the identities of those killed in the remote and volatile region.
Pakistani forces launched an operation in Orakzai in mid-March to flush out militants who last year fled an Army onslaught further south.
Ullah said about 250 militants have died so far.
The fighting has forced out at least 10,000 civilians who have moved to a government camp in nearby Kohat. Orakzai usually has a population of 450,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?