Pakistani fugitive held in Italy
Latina: A Pakistani fugitive who had been on the run since 2006 after being sentenced to 14 years imprisonment for drug and human trafficking has been arrested in Italy.
A court in Gujranwala in Pakistan`s eastern Punjab province in November 2006 issued an international arrest warrant against Mazhar Iqbal Butter after convicting him of being part of a gang in Pakistan which trafficked migrants to western Europe via Iran, Turkey and Greece.
Police on Friday confirmed 32-year-old Butter`s arrest at the immigration office in the northwestern coastal city of Livorno, as he was applying for an Italian residency permit.
"Police set a trap for him, telling him there was a problem with his application, and followed him to Livorno from the city of Brescia," investigator Michele Viola said.
Butter entered Italy in 2007 with a false passport and lived in several locations in and around the northern city of Brescia but travelled frequently to visit members of the Pakistani community in the central Italian city of Latina near Rome, Viola said.
"We investigated him for four months, after doubts emerged over his identity," Viola said, adding, "He has admitted his passport was false, and that he is indeed Butter."
Butter will be in Livorno jail pending his deportation to Pakistan, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'