Pakistani journalist Hamid Mir escapes bid on life
Islamabad: A Pakistani journalist and TV anchor escaped an attempt on his life on Monday when explosives were found attached to his car`s under-carriage here in the Pakistani capital, media reports said.
Hamid Mir, a senior anchor in Geo TV, was returning home from a market in Islamabad when his neighbour`s driver spotted a suspicious object attached to the under-carriage of Mir`s car.
The bomb was apparently planted when he stopped at a market. The explosive device was found stuck right under the front passenger seat of the car, police said.
A bomb disposal squad was immediately called and it successfully defused the bomb containing around half a kg of explosive material, Geo News reported. The material included a battery, a detonator and ball bearings.
Mir was criticised by the Pakistani Taliban last month in the wake of the shooting of teenaged rights activist Malala Yousafzai.
Intelligence officials earlier said that an intercepted Taliban message suggested suicide bombers have been assigned to attack journalists, with Geo TV at the top of the list of targets because of its coverage of the Malala attack.
"It`s a message to me as well as Geo and the journalist community in Pakistan. They want to stop us from speaking the truth but I want to tell them that we will not be deterred," Mir was later quoted as saying.
According to the international organisation Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), as many as 64 journalists have been killed in Pakistan since 1992.
Micro-blogging website Twitter was abuzz with condemnation against the assassination attempt.
Noted Pakistani human rights activist Ansar Burney wrote on Twitter: "Strongly condemn targeted attempt on Hamid Mir life by planting heavy explosive under his car (sic)."
Umar Cheema, an investigative journalist at The News, wrote: "Stay safe @HamidMirGeo. You`re precious, I told you every time... you`re the bravest journalist I have seen in my life. But please remember it is important to STAY ALIVE to FIGHT.... HamidMirGeo fought for all, even those fighting each others. We have to zealously guard you my friend. Brave like you aren`t born everyday."
Fiza Batool Gilani, Pakistan`s goodwill ambassador for women`s empowerment, wrote: "Strongly condemn the cowardly attempt on life of @HamidMirGEO. May Allah be with you. Stay strong & steadfast!"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened