Pakistani journalist kidnapped in Waziristan
Islamabad: A group of armed men kidnapped senior journalist Rahmatullah Darpakhel in the restive North Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan, local residents said on Friday.
Darpakhel, who is associated with the Urdu daily Ausaf, was kidnapped from Miranshah, the main town of North Waziristan agency, on Tuesday.
He was shopping in the main market of the town when the armed men bundled him into a car and drove away. The faces of the kidnappers were covered.
They intercepted Darpakhel shortly after he left the Miranshah Press Club.
Media reports said Darpakhel was careful while writing about issues and incidents in the volatile North Waziristan Agency.
He reportedly refused to work with the foreign media due to the dangers associated with journalistic assignments in the militancy-hit tribal belt.
"He is widely respected and had never received a threat from any militant group," senior reporter Malik Mumtaz Khan told The News daily.
The incident has caused concern among fellow journalists in North Waziristan, Khan said.
A mysterious group, Khurasan, considered the intelligence wing of the Taliban, was reportedly behind such kidnappings and the murder of tribesmen in North Waziristan, sources told the daily.
Taliban fighters led by Hafiz Gul Bahadur denied involvement in Darpakhel`s kidnapping and denounced the incident.
Their spokesman Ahmadullah Ahmadi said the group had launched efforts to trace the journalist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- WATCH: IPL 2016 final highlights: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs SunRisers Hyderabad
- Fast, stretchy circuits could revolutionise Internet of Things!
- This latest OK JAANU pic shows Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor are so much in love!
- Major trouble for Tanmay Bhat! Raj Thackeray-led MNS vows to thrash him for mocking Sachin Tendulkar, Lata Mangeshkar
- Sahara group puts out huge 4,700 acres of land for sale