Pakistani lawmaker says women mentally torture men
Karachi: A male Pakistani lawmaker has drawn jeers for proposing a committee to stop the "mental torture" of men by women.
Jam Tamachi Unar suggested the idea Thursday, after the assembly in Sindh province resolved to create a panel to investigate the torture of women in the country`s rural areas.
The proposal drew shouts of "Shame!" from female assembly members. Most of the women stormed out of the session, while some of the men laughed.
Unar said that he was only joking but that it`s a "bitter truth that the same way women are tortured in rural areas, men are the victims of mental torture in urban neighborhoods."
Violence against women is common in Pakistan, partly thanks to patriarchal attitudes and lax law enforcement.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living