Pakistani lawmakers rally behind PM Gilani
Islamabad: A number of parliamentarians met and told Yousuf Raza Gilani that they stood firmly by him after the prime minister spoke of the supremacy of parliament in a tussle with the army.
The parliamentarians extended full support to the prime minister for his assertion that "State within a State is not acceptable" and that all institutions should perform their responsibilities in accordance with the constitution, reported Associated Press of Pakistan.
The country witnessed heightened tension between the government and the army after Gilani Thursday said: "Nobody can say that he is not under the government." He added that conspiracies were being hatched to "pack up an elected government".
Pakistan Army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, however, dispelled speculations of a military takeover and assured the naion that the army will support the democratic process in the country.
A press release issued by the PM House said the parliamentarians stood firmly behind the prime minister for safeguarding and promoting democracy.
In a meeting held at the PM`s House, the parliamentarians expressed their satisfaction over the fact that the political leadership of all shades of opinion were pro-democracy and opposed any unconstitutional move.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan