Pakistani lawmakers rally behind PM Gilani
Islamabad: A number of parliamentarians met and told Yousuf Raza Gilani that they stood firmly by him after the prime minister spoke of the supremacy of parliament in a tussle with the army.
The parliamentarians extended full support to the prime minister for his assertion that "State within a State is not acceptable" and that all institutions should perform their responsibilities in accordance with the constitution, reported Associated Press of Pakistan.
The country witnessed heightened tension between the government and the army after Gilani Thursday said: "Nobody can say that he is not under the government." He added that conspiracies were being hatched to "pack up an elected government".
Pakistan Army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, however, dispelled speculations of a military takeover and assured the naion that the army will support the democratic process in the country.
A press release issued by the PM House said the parliamentarians stood firmly behind the prime minister for safeguarding and promoting democracy.
In a meeting held at the PM`s House, the parliamentarians expressed their satisfaction over the fact that the political leadership of all shades of opinion were pro-democracy and opposed any unconstitutional move.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler