Pakistani lesbians `become UK`s 1st married Muslim gay couple`
London: Two former students from Pakistan are believed to have become the first Muslim lesbian couple to tie the knot in a civil ceremony in the UK.
According to reports, following their marriage at the registry office in Leeds earlier this month, Rehana Kausar, 34, and Sobia Kamar , 29, immediately applied for political asylum, the Independent reported.
Couple`s relatives said that the women, who studied in Birmingham, have received threats of death both in the UK and from their opponents in Pakistan, where these kinds of relationships are considered illegal.
During the ceremony, the couple reportedly told the registrar that they met 3 years ago while studying business and health care management at Birmingham and were living together in South Yorkshire for about a year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed