Pakistani lesbians `become UK`s 1st married Muslim gay couple`
London: Two former students from Pakistan are believed to have become the first Muslim lesbian couple to tie the knot in a civil ceremony in the UK.
According to reports, following their marriage at the registry office in Leeds earlier this month, Rehana Kausar, 34, and Sobia Kamar , 29, immediately applied for political asylum, the Independent reported.
Couple`s relatives said that the women, who studied in Birmingham, have received threats of death both in the UK and from their opponents in Pakistan, where these kinds of relationships are considered illegal.
During the ceremony, the couple reportedly told the registrar that they met 3 years ago while studying business and health care management at Birmingham and were living together in South Yorkshire for about a year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Anushka Sharma slaps ‘Sultan’ Salman Khan?
- Katrina Kaif’s views on ‘intolerance’ in the country - Here's what the actress said