Pakistani lesbians `become UK`s 1st married Muslim gay couple`
London: Two former students from Pakistan are believed to have become the first Muslim lesbian couple to tie the knot in a civil ceremony in the UK.
According to reports, following their marriage at the registry office in Leeds earlier this month, Rehana Kausar, 34, and Sobia Kamar , 29, immediately applied for political asylum, the Independent reported.
Couple`s relatives said that the women, who studied in Birmingham, have received threats of death both in the UK and from their opponents in Pakistan, where these kinds of relationships are considered illegal.
During the ceremony, the couple reportedly told the registrar that they met 3 years ago while studying business and health care management at Birmingham and were living together in South Yorkshire for about a year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened