Pakistani nuclear scientist says restrictions lifted
Islamabad: Disgraced Pakistani nuclear scientist Abdul Qadeer Khan, who has admitted leaking nuclear secrets to Iran, North Korea and Libya, said Tuesday restrictions on his movements had been lifted.
Asked if local newspaper reports that the government restrictions had been removed were correct, Khan said, "By the grace of Allah, yes."
In February, a Pakistani court declared Khan a free man, five years after the reputed father of Pakistan`s nuclear bomb was effectively put under house arrest for operating a
Last Friday, the 72-year-old Khan complained to a high court that his movements were still being restricted by the government`s security arrangements on his behalf. The court
ordered the government to respond to Khan`s claim on September 4.
Local media have quoted Khan as saying that the restrictions had been withdrawn ahead of Friday`s hearing.
"The reports that you have read in newspapers are correct," Khan told AFP, adding that he could not elaborate because the court had barred him from giving interviews to
foreign media. He was, however, free to speak to local press.
A senior Islamabad police official told AFP that his force was not restricting Khan`s movements.
"As far as Islamabad police is concerned we are not restricting his movements," said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!