Pakistani officials monitoring CCTV footage to nab bombing suspects
Islamabad: Investigating officials in Pakistan have received vital information from video footage obtained from close-circuit surveillance cameras about Saturday`s car bombing in north-western city of Peshawar.
At least 10 people were killed and more than 30 injured when a car bomb exploded near a busy commercial centre in Peshawar, the capital of the North West Frontier Province (NWFP).
The Online news agency cited sources saying that law-enforcing agencies have obtained valuable information from the CCTV footages that would prove helpful in tracing the culprits.
Similarly, Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has recorded statement of the four eyewitnesses including the security guard of a private bank near the blast site.
It is also reported that investigation agencies have sent the limbs of suicide bombers to Islamabad to carry out DNA test.
NWFP`s Information Minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain told reporters that the attack was a reaction against "successful operations" by the security forces against Islamist militants in the north-western region.
However, no group immediately claimed responsibility for the bombing, which occurred hours after a suicide attacker detonated his explosive-laden pickup truck at the gates of Mandan police station near Bannu, another NWFP town bordering Pakistan`s tribal region.
The blast occurred just hours after a suicide bomber blew up an explosive-laden pickup truck outside a police station in Bannu town, close to the restive tribal region of North Waziristan.
The blast flattened the police building, trapping dozens of people in the rubble.
"Five policemen and a suspect being interrogated at the police station were killed and at least 60 people were injured," Bannu police chief Iqbal Marwat said.
The explosion left a three-metre-deep crater on the road.
Meanwhile, the NWFP government has banned placing or displaying of police uniform in private or official vehicles in order to avoid any untoward incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof