London: British police on Monday charged 10 men, mostly of Pakistan and Afghan origins, with sexual exploitation of girls as young as 13 in the northern England town of Rochdale.
The men are accused of a catalogue of serious sex offences against seven women aged between 13 and 23 at the time of the alleged abuse between 2005 and 2013.
The men were arrested under Operation Doublet, investigating child sexual exploitation of white teen girls by older Asian men in the city near Manchester.
The investigation, which started in May 2012, was a result of a number of other Asian men being found guilty of child abuse since 2012 and has led to racial tensions in the region.
The men charged today are aged between 26 and 45 and include Shayfur Rahman, Kutab Miah, Rehan Ali, Iklaq Choudhry Hussain, Mahfus Rahman, Ashfaq Yousaf, Afraz Ahmed, Mohammed Davood and David Law.
Their charges include rape, conspiracy to rape, inciting a child to engage in sexual activity, sexual activity with a child and sexual assault.
"This investigation is one of a number of cases which comes under the umbrella of Operation Doublet, which is the continued investigation into child sexual exploitation (CSE) that arose following the 2011 investigation into CSE in Rochdale," said Assistant Chief Constable Ian Wiggett of Greater Manchester Police.
"The operation is an investigation into CSE in Rochdale and across other areas of Greater Manchester. So far, 65 people have been arrested and the investigation will continue over the coming months and further arrests are anticipated." continues," he said.
The men have been bailed to appear at either Bury or Tameside Magistrates' Court in Manchester later this week.